Mind Body Physical Therapy
“For six years I had debilitating lower back pain. Twice I had surgery. As a Massage Therapist I knew and went to the best practitioners in the field. Rachel addressed my pain with a unique approach. I have been pain free for over 3 years now. Rachel uses techniques which are painless and powerful.
– Elaine Calenda, Academic Dean, Boulder College of Massage Therapy,
Chronic Pain Relief and Pain Management in the Boulder area.
Your pain may be from an injury, a surgery, an illness, or an accident. Some pain problems have no clear cause. You may be dealing with a complex and chronic pain. Have you waited for your pain to go away on its own and it hasn’t? Prior therapies may have given you partial or intermittent success.
Often, complicated and entrenched pain problems do not respond to traditional treatments despite the inclusion of manual therapy and exercise. You may need an approach that is both specifically focused and comprehensive enough to address all the factors that sustain the pain in your unique situation. Some pain problems, even if they are longstanding, can be resolved.
Some problems will improve but always remain with you to some extent. If this is your situation, we will manage the pain to the lowest possible levels. Some conditions will not return to fully pain free. If this is the case, we’ll aim to reach a level of minimal or infrequent treatment.
I am a licensed Physical Therapist with over 30 years experience treating patients with chronic pain and complex pain situations. I teach other Physical Therapists, Occupational, and Massage Therapists how to address difficult and complex pain conditions. Read more ...
It is a challenge to find the right help. You can call me and talk about your situation. My cell phone is: 303-875-7878.
Special considerations for complex pain in these areas:
- I treat headaches, migraines and neck pain problems. Mid-back and rib pain often involve posture muscle. Sciatica, disk, and lumbar joint changes can all interact.
- Shoulders, rotator cuff injuries, loss of movement, frozen shoulders, shoulder impingement, bursitis, and surgery recovery are treated with a focus on minimizing any additional pain. Aggressive stretching that provokes more pain and muscle spasm is avoided.
- Repetitive use injuries, carpal tunnel compression, and tendonitis of the wrist and elbow and some hand injuries may be part of regional arm and neck problems.
- I treat leg pain in the hip, the ITB, the knee, patellar tracking, chondromalacia, ankle sprains and fractures and foot issues like plantar fasciitis, toe pain after foot surgeries and reconstructions. read more
- Dizziness and balance problems can be part of upper cervical joint dysfunction and combine with regional problems in the neck.
- Arthritis, joint deformities, aging and degenerative joint disease may be part of the whole picture.
- I have extensive training in treating injuries that have a traumatic component. This includes car accidents, whiplash, bike crashes, falls, crush injuries, and RSD/CRPS.
- Muscle spasm and muscle pain are usually present but x-rays and MRI imaging won’t show the muscle pain contribution to your problem.
- Baseline emotion and body stress levels from current or previous life challenges can overlay into a pain problem.
Your story, relevant medical reports and hands on evaluation gives the needed information to guide therapy. We’ll look at how your body works as a whole.
Most medical insurance plans cover Physical Therapy. Plan details vary and may change. Because there are quirks to getting the details right, I will take the time to call your insurance company for you, verify your Physical Therapy benefits, call you back and let you know what your coverage is prior to meeting. We can discuss any issues prior to therapy. I don’t like insurance surprises and I bet you don’t either.
Your concerns are important, and I am available to speak with you and answer your treatment or insurance questions. 303- 875-7878.
In 1996 I faced significant challenges from a car accident, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), grief, joint and leg pain, and loss of recreational activities while being a mom to 2 young boys. I was confronted with a condition known as complex regional pain syndrome or RSD which can fully disable a person. I was living with chronic pain daily. I desperately wanted to get well. My situation threatened to fully ruin my family and professional life and that knowledge further added to my distress. I began to study traumatic stress and its impacts on the body, the emotions, and the mind hoping I could save myself. In 2008 I had a traumatic brain injury (TBI) as part of another car accident.
In the process of managing and overcoming these major life and health conditions, I have gained new insights and answers to the question, “What limits healing?”
In some situations I will make home visits. This is somewhat dependent on where you are located in the areas near Longmont and Boulder, CO.
I see most of my Physical Therapy clients in my office at: 805 S. Broadway, Suite 103 Boulder, CO 80503. This office is easily accessible from Boulder, Louisville, Lafayette, Erie, Niwot, Gunbarrel, Broomfield and Arvada.
Please feel free to talk with me,
Rachel Katz, PT at 303- 875-7878